Enterprise Resources Planning (ERP)
An accounting, planning system, usually supported by graphical software with ODBC database portability and fourth generation language tools, that identifies and plans for the resources required to produce, ship and track customer orders.
There is a natural link between scheduling (Advanced Planning and Scheduling or “APS”) systems and execution tracking (Enterprise Resources Planning or “ERP”) systems.
Integrating APS software with an ERP business offers a variety of benefits, including:
- The minimization of repetitive machine set-up through the scheduling of similar work orders concurrently
- The maximization of machine schedules
- The capacity to utilize lean manufacturing methodologies
- The enabling of just-in-time purchasing for necessary parts and materials
- Better management of labor resources
- An ability to schedule against finite tooling availability